CONTESTS

None at the moment, check back soon!

Recent Posts

Friday, August 20, 2010

Review: Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen

Title: Past Midnight
Author: Mara Purnhagen
Release Date: September 1, 2010
Publisher:
Harlequin Teen
Length: 216
Source: Author (ARC)

Summary:

Let me set the record straight. My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV…no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show. And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed. Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston—and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings. Trying to fit into a new school and keeping my parents' creepy occupation a secret from my friends—and potential boyfriends—is hard enough without having angry spirits whispering in my ear. All I ever wanted was to be normal, but with ghosts of my past and present colliding, now I just want to make it out of high school alive….

Review:

That summary makes the book sound SO STUPID, and it in no way embodies the MC Charlotte.
But don't let the summary stop you form buying a copy of this, because it is a very intriguing read.

Mara Purnhagen has an envy-worthy gift for story telling, as is obvious from Past Midnight, the first title in the series. She created an interesting plot and effortlessly weaved paranormal into a contemporary setting. The science and, dare I say, logic behind the energies in this story almost made me believe in ghosts! (i'm still undecided ;) ).

However.
The mysteries in this book were not complex enough for my taste and I figured them out on my own. But that's probably because this is geared for the younger side of YA, maybe upper middle grade? Also, Charlotte didn't have much of a personality. I kept searching for a character flaw or something that made her unique apart from her parents' occupation, but couldn't find one. I would have like a little more personality infused into her, but I have a feeling that will pop up more in the later books.

If you love a quick, eerie read, Past Midnight is for you. I will be eagerly awaiting the next in the series, One Hundred Candles, which is to be released in March 2011.


1. Characters 17/20
2. Writing 19/20
3. Plot 19/20
4. Accurate YA voice 19/20
5. Cover 10/10
6. Title 7/10 (the title itself was fine, but i'm not sure how it pertains to the story. i think i might have missed that explanation.)


Total: 91 0r B+

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually thought the summary made it sound good. Maybe I'm just biased, ha :) Great review! This sounds like an interesting read.

Abby said...

Great review. I actually liked the summary, made me want to read the book! But I can see how it would veer on the edge of dumb/cliche. I think this is one book I will be picking up this fall after it comes out.

Bidisha said...

The over does have an eerie feel to it.
I liked the first line of the summary, but then it seemed to drift off. Your review makes me wanna read it though.

Anonymous said...

Awesome review! This looks like such a great book, and I'm glad it was pretty good! Thanks for the review! (:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I added it to my wish list.

Anonymous said...

great review!

digital quick said...

your blog is unique, i really liked your blog, I want to share some news with you on world news. latestest news. just take some time and check my website as possible as, thank you cbse 12 result 2020 class 12 exam results 2020 cbse 12 result class 12 exams

Post a Comment

i love the comments and appreciate each and every one. i try and return them on your blogs ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Page Views Since May 25, 2010

free hit counter